2017 & 2018 Board of Directors Election Information
FolkMADS is holding its annual election to select members to serve on the Board of Directors for 2017-2019. Lets start by thanking our board members that tirelessly served our community in 2016!
Continuing to serve as a Board of Director (Jan 2016 – Dec 2017)
Completed their service as a Board of Director (Jan 2015 – Dec 2016)
There are six seats on the board open for election! Four community members have stepped forward to run for the board. See who they are and read their statements!
In 2016 the board worked tirelessly to keep traditional music and dance thriving in New Mexico in so many ways:
- We played a key role in bringing you two great music and dance weekends: FolkMADness and Boo Camp.
- We held the wonderful Sage Assembly, English Country Ball.
- We found a new jamming location for our ABQ Megaband.
- We fostered new musicians in old time music by supporting the ATC School in Santa Fe with a grant to provide a concert and lessons by the Fast Peso Stringboard.
- We provided scholarships for musicians to attend FolkMADness to encourage growth of our local bands.
- We helped sponsor the dance events at Albuquerque Folk Festival.
- We provided a grant to the FolkMADS-UNM Student chapter to support monthly contra dances on campus in the spring semester.
- We continue training callers in contra and ECD in the NM Callers Collective.
- We continue working on improving the quality of our events.
- We continue working on streamlining and standardizing various Society processes.
We’re on a run. What can we do together in 2017 to increase the momentum? We need you to serve on our 2017 and 2018 Board of Directors. Run for one of the six board positions for a two year term. Come play with us and make next year the best year ever for New Mexico Music and Dance.
Online voting will commence November 19 and will be available through noon on November 26. Voting in person will be available at the Santa Fe dance on November 26.
More information is available in our bylaws but here is some important information, excerpted from the document:
Directors are elected by the members during the Annual Membership Meeting in November. Terms commence in January. Candidates for Director shall nominate themselves by submitting a statement of interest and qualifications to the Election Committee at least 15 days prior to the Annual Membership Meeting. Statements from all candidates will be posted on the web site 10 days prior to the Annual Membership Meeting. Directors-elect are expected to attend the regular Board Meeting in December, at which time Directors-elect will choose new Officers and select Chairs for all standing committees by consensus or vote if necessary. A Director may be assigned other duties, including Chairmanship of a Standing Committee.
The requirements for becoming a Director are:
- An interest in promoting the purpose of FolkMADS as set forth in section 3 of the Articles of Incorporation,
- Membership in FolkMADS, and
- Willingness to attend (in person or via phone) at least half of the board meetings.